In the yogic tradition, WATER is considered one of the five, “Maha Bhutas (Great Elements). In yoga, the word for water is jala. Water has the ability, to shift-shape into different forms including gas, liquid, and solid. Most of us are familiar that water makes up approximately 75% of the earth’s surface. The human body also has a similar proportion of approximately 70-80% water.
What are Functions of Water in the Human Body?
1) Water is a liquid crystal and transmitter of vital information.
2) Water provides a pathway for important neurotransmitters.
3) Water help to maintain the health of DNA.
4) Facilitates reactions in mitochondria (cellular energy).
5) In the blood system, water transfers oxygen, nutrients, antibodies, and provides waste removal.
6) Water protects the spinal cord, acting as a lubricant for the joints.
It’s estimated that 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. In addition to the functions above being inhibited, below are some other effects of dehydration.
What are Effects of Dehydration?
1) Lymph fluid becomes thin, and you become a human cesspool of toxicity.
2) Mild dehydration slows down the metabolism causing an increase in fat.
3) Dehydration is a top cause of headaches and migraines.
4) It causes dry skin and eyes
Back in the time of Leonardo da Vinci, there was abundant access to good, clean water. Unfortunately, studies on municipal water have revealed a whole slew of harmful stuff in the water supply. This includes antidepressants, muscle relaxers, pain relievers (Tylenol, ibuprofen, aspirin), prednisone, nicotine, pesticides (atrazine), lead, and arsenic. Most bottled water isn’t guaranteed to be that much better. Not only are most bottled waters tap water themselves, but harmful BPA chemicals can leech into the water. Plus the planet is experiencing a plastic crisis!
Now, this blog isn’t meant to depress you. It’s meant to inform and inspire you. If you are not drinking enough water and/or drinking the wrong kinds of water, then it’s going to be hard to have an ultimate mind and ultimate life!”
So, what to do? I got you covered for optimal hydration!
Recommended Water Drinking
1) Drink Spring Water for the #1 best water option.
– Visit www.findaspring.com as resource to where you can get the best water around.
2) Use a ‘Reverse Osmosis’ water filtration system.
-R.O. is your best bet when it comes to purified water, but add high quality Sea Salt (Himalayan), and/or fresh Lime juice to activate the water.
3) When drinking bottle water always get glass, and look for “Mountain Valley,” “Acqua Panna,” or “Voss.”
Lastly, drink at least 50% of your body weight in ounces. For example, somebody that weighs 150 pounds should drink a minimum of 70oz of good water daily. I hope you found this info helpful. Follow through on the practice tip below, please share your comments, and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
Practice Tip: When you wake up, first thing in the morning, chug 24-32oz of good, clean lime water. Drink a minimum of your suggested water intake throughout the day. Keep track in your journal, or calendar, your water intake and make note of any changes.